Task & Purpose is looking for a dynamic social media editor to join our team.
Our ideal candidate is an enthusiastic self-starter who can handle a variety of tasks without breaking a sweat. He or she will own our brand’s social coverage while working full-time alongside our team of journalists and video producers, posting to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (feed, stories, and IGTV), YouTube, and elsewhere.
The social media editor will develop a strategy to manage and grow our existing audience while always keeping an eye out for new platforms and communities. He or she will also oversee the daily management of our brand’s social presence, closely track of metrics, and mentor our journalists on best practices for integrating social media into the newsroom.
Applicants should have a deep familiarity with all the leading social platforms and knowledge of best practices. He or she should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, be obsessed with all things social/internet culture, and have a great sense of humor, awesome work ethic, and strong drive.
This position is based in our New York office, but can be done remotely by the right candidate — as long as he or she is willing to work on Eastern time.
- Leading Task & Purpose social strategy across platforms
- Creating, producing, and executing recurring Instagram Story series
- Managing the Task & Purpose Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube accounts
- Using analytics tools to track growth and engagement on social channels and manage weekly reporting
- Regularly pitching new, innovative social concepts and ideas to the leadership team
- Incorporating audience engagement into the editorial process in the form of tips, comments, user-generated content, and so on
- Develop original content to drive social media engagement and audience growth, such as image macros and light graphics work
- Being the public “voice” of Task & Purpose, interacting with people messaging us tips and concerns, engaging with commenters, and making sure the trolls are never fed
- Strong news judgment
- At least 1-3 years of experience as a social media editor, preferably in a newsroom environment
- You know how to thread tweets, create GIFs, and have a great sense of humor
- Proven ability to write smart and snappy copy for social
- A familiarity with the military news and culture space
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of internet and meme culture with an eye on how to capitalize on fleeting moments for maximum engagement
- A strong understanding of social media best practices, tools, and growth strategies
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator
- A military background, or past experience in military-related environment
- Journalism, social/marketing, or related degree
If you think you’d be a great fit, tell us why in a cover letter. Please also include a resume and your current favorite meme or GIF in an email to paul [at] taskandpurpose.com.